Thursday, November 30, 2006

AND LIFE MOVES ON !!



Life moves on , it moves on even if New York is bombed(the Yankees can excuse me) , it moves on when Gandhi is assassinated and it will continue moving the way it has been .


This is best when experienced in person.


It's a bright , fresh , new day . All days are like that ? Quite debatable – I know . If you are the intellectual type you might say - “ Well Aseem , it depends .... “


I power-up the laptop and even before I can log into the ubiquitous Microsoft Windows XP system I hear from a colleague that one of our Team members has passed away.


A 26 year old – and suicide !!. This guy was doing “great” -this is what his Manager says . Rumors afloat and they spread like wild fire(I've not seen a wild fire but I'm imagining ) . Was it for love ? Stress ?or may be a murder ?


“You know I just met him the other day – he was so happy .”. “ Oh dear I was sipping coffee with him just a while ago “..... People have different ways to sympathize .


Certainly not a perfect start for the day and I'm finding hard how to react and what expressions should float on my face are not governed by me – they come – from where – I am not sure .


The Manager declares : We're not working . But then we Indians never care , we still work . I can find many smiling and cracking jokes and that too very next to the cubicle where this guy used to work .


Life moves on for Indians at a much faster pace for sure.


An email pops up - “We've done fabulous in this quarter and each employee deserves an award “ . And before I could finish reading the email I see the gifts arriving . This is fast , very fast indeed.


Engineers are not supposed to move . We get everything right where we sit ,after all we have to conserve energy for more useful chores.


Faces lit up , the whole work place is buzzing with excitement .


“ What's this ? “ , “Hey did you get the same stuff” , “ John why are you never happy with anything you are given ? “ , “ Can I have one more please “ .......


Somewhere in these gifts our colleague (we lost – hope you remember ) is lost for ever . And life moves on !!



2 comments:

Anonymous said...

nice description... i really liked the way you write....

Anonymous said...

a passing thought though...
What do you expect the average engineer to do.Not to work for the rest of the day, in the gloomy thoughts of his coleague?????
Dude!!! Any employee does the same .. Not just Engineers!!! Irony is that I am an engineer too..